Experienced in delivering for users, leading diverse teams of digital professionals, working to a collective vision using collaborative and agile ways of working. A confident communicator, comfortable presenting, demoing, networking, and using research, data, analysis to make recommendations in furthering digital service design. Passionate about delivering inclusive services that work well for everyone and evolve as and when conditions change. Responsible for both instigating and delivering major programmes of work and contributing to formulating digital strategy in an era of transformation.
Skills and abilities
- Creative, organised with natural management and leadership qualities
- Well-rounded, specialist IT skills and knowledge
- Excellent research, project management, interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven leader and team worker with the ability to energise and motivate others
- Effective communicator both written and verbal
Government Information Services (Nov. 2015 - present) - Lead Product Owner / Programme / Delivery Manager for New Zealand government digital services
Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead liaison with the all-of-government COVID-19 response team around digital best practice, co-ordinating support for efforts, and initiating work with international counterparts with regards to innovation in crisis response
- Providing high quality advice and recommendations on the strategic direction of product and work programme initiatives
- Driving system-wide outcomes across NZ government digital services and work programme areas
- Recommending technical digital solutions based on user needs, prototyping and testing to improve services and products
- Championing co-design product development, the use of web standards and promotion of accessibility to ensure high quality, all-of-government digital services
- Leading work around the Digital Government Partnership Innovation Fund - a multi-million dollar budgeted fund for promoting new ideas, innovation across government in New Zealand
- Programme Manager role for key work around future of government digital services in New Zealand - informing strategy across the public sector
- Leading work into an all-of-government design system including ideating, liaising with wider communities of interest, pushing project forward
- Led the delivery of two major digital projects - a new Public Sector Intranet and data.govt.nz using Agile methodologies
- Acting as Portfolio Manager, working with Senior Leadership Team
- Managing sprints - resourcing, communications, helping the team to deliver to plan, removing constraints, blockers
- Identifying training opportunities for the team - upskilling in agile approach
- Engaging with teams across agencies in planning for and promotion of all of government services, and reaching out to international counterparts sharing knowledge, networking
- Managing product team, BA, design, development resource - setting KPIs, roadmaps
- Initiating user-centric approach to all work from analysis, research to design via user forums, community engagement, analytics, determining and building evidence of value
- Advocating standards adherence, building quality in
- Budgeting effectively, and efficiently working with vendor partners
- Obtaining buy-in from senior leadership for key initiatives that align strategically to overarching goals
- Supporting digital service design for government, drafting reports around cost recovery, resourcing etc.
- Future-proofing - analysing trends, emerging user needs - planning appropriately
- Instigating forums - e.g. ‘Insight’ for multi-disciplinary team can share work, achievements, knowledge and product owners can promote effectively
- Part of interview panels building effective multi-disciplinary teams
- Working with strategic partners setting up, running events - e.g. GovtJam Hackathon event for graduates and students
Ulster University, Jordanstown, NI (Jan. 2014 - Nov. 2015 - Digital Communications Manager
- Instilling agile ‘sensibilities’ across digital team - e.g. using GDS (UK) design principles to guide work
- Developing, leading on digital strategy and implementing policies as part of a rebrand in 2015
- Leading website redevelopment of ulster.ac.uk - including user research sessions
- Representing the communications/brand portfolio at university meetings/committees etc.
- Managing successful design, build and launch of a new digital internal communications channel
- Management of external supplier relationships ensuring value-for-money and timely project delivery
- Effective management of Digital Project Board to ensure relevant strategic issues are addressed and senior buy-in secured
- Establishment of a practical governance structure to maintain controls for Web Producers across teams
- Leadership for digital communications team members - ensuring human resources managed effectively
- Building strong partnering relationships with colleagues in key departments, especially those with interdependencies for project delivery
- Ensuring new and migrated content aligned to brand - consistent in visual style, language and tone
- Managing development of web toolkits and training support for key internal colleagues
- Ensuring clear communication of project goals, progress, and planning; managing expectations
Danske Bank, Donegall Square, Belfast (Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2014) Online Manager
- Managing the national rebrand of organisation online platforms in 2012 across two jurisdictions - Ireland and UK - danskebank.co.uk
- Responsible for Danske Bank online content (web, apps etc.) from Belfast and Dublin
- Liaising with external agencies, remote teams in Ireland & Denmark optimising content, improving user experience and ultimately conversion rates in online applications etc.
- Working with Management, Business Development teams, Editors and Designers, responsible for coordinating site content and catering for the needs of various target audiences
- Developing strategy for online communications, campaigns, social media
- Examining analytics, testing, tweaking, improving performance, monitoring search (organic, paid)
- Controlling risk and assigning responsibility for content, liaising with compliance teams etc.
- Introducing agile methodologies to the workplace, replacing waterfall approaches
- Managing web editor team - performance management, mentoring etc.
Centre for Cross Border Studies | Armagh, Northern Ireland (Apr. 2007 - Feb. 2009) Senior Information Officer
- Co-ordination of the build and launch of borderpeople.info; the first cross-border online information channel on the island of Ireland for users from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland
- Developing content of cross border websites (borderireland.info) including development of story bank features
- Managing relationships with key government information providers in Dublin and Belfast
- Preparing summaries of any information included in the system for key stakeholders
- Promoting at all relevant public events, developing relationships with information providers
Housing Rights Service, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Apr. 2006 - Apr. 2007) Web Editor
- Working within the Policy & Communications unit of major advisory body writing/editing complex legal online content pertinent to the housing sector in Northern Ireland - for practitioners, advisers, public
- Ensuring content in format and function was usable and accessible to all.
- Web and graphic design for award winning website (e-government award 2007 - housingadviceni.org)
- Research and writing for organisational website housingrights.org.uk
- Producing monthly reports based on web analysis identifying key areas for improvement etc.
Level Seven Creative Design | Belfast, Northern Ireland (Jul. 2004 - Apr. 2006) | Account Manager
- Liaising with a large client base, working with the Start A Business Programme providing guidance on web marketing solutions, actively marketing the programme internally, externally.
- Delivering presentations to new businesses on Search Engine Optimisation, Web Marketing etc.
Education and Training
- Professional Diploma in Digital Strategy and Planning - Digital Marketing Institute (2019), Certified CDMS-SP
- ICAgile Certified Professional
- o Nov 2017 - Present License 61-8276-f6b928f4-46ad-44a3-be28-6207eb453e
- Te reo, Tikanga and Treaty training (beginner) completed in June 2017
- Professional Diploma in Digital Marketing - Digital Marketing Institute, London, UK (2013)
- PRINCE2 Certified, Belfast (2011)
- APMG International, License 02378154-02-3V1Q
- Adobe Certified Associate - Rich Media Communication; Flash, Dublin, Ireland (2010)
- Premiere Publishing (2006) London, UK
- Writing effectively for the web / Information architecture
- Premiere2, Graduate Management Development Programme, Belfast, N. Ireland (2003)
- Level 4 Diploma in Management from the Chartered Management Institute.
- NUI Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland (2002-2003)
- Post-Graduate Higher National Diploma in Information Technology (2.1)
- Subject Areas included: End User Studies, Databases (SQL)
- University of Ulster, Coleraine, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland (September 1997 - June 2000)
- BA Hons Media Studies (2:1)
- College of Further Education, Ballyfermot, Co. Dublin, Ireland (1995 - 1997)
- BTEC National Diploma in Journalism - 9 Distinctions, 4 Merits.
Software application / language skills
Skills / tools include Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, CodeKit, Adobe Suite, Audacity, Slack, Trello, ProductPlan, Roadmunk, Git, JQuery, Html, PHP, CSS, LESS, SASS, MySQL, Vue, SharePoint, WordPress, SilverStripe.
Knowledge sets include accessibility, search engine optimisation, design systems, usability, digital marketing, analytics etc.
- Provided digital consultancy in 2019 for successful Claire Hanna campaign to become MP for South Belfast at Westminister, with a 30% increase in vote share
- Designed, developed website for Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) in Northern Ireland Assembly - clairehanna.org
- 3 years chair (2011-2014) of SDLP political party branch in south Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hobbies & Interests
Reading, writing, running, history, current affairs, photography, music, cinema, swimming, soccer, chess.
Referees: Available on request